Okta offers you flexible paid time off (PTO) from work for planned activities such as vacations, personal business, and family matters.
Okta does not set a limit on employees’ flexible PTO. But, we do ask that before requesting time off, consider your job-related obligations and responsibilities and talk with your manager to determine a reasonable time off schedule.
Okta also provides paid time off for reasons such as sick time, bereavement leave, and jury or witness summons leave.
Note: Some links on this page go to Okta Box documents which are for Okta employees and can only be accessed with an Okta account.
Okta provides regular full-time employees with flexible paid time off (PTO) for many reasons including vacations, personal business, and family matters.
This does not apply to absences covered under other Okta policies, such as:
- Sick time
- Parental leave
- Medical leave
- Unpaid personal leave
- Statutory leaves of absence
- Military leave
- All other leaves defined by any applicable state or federal laws.
These and other types of leave are described in their respective policies on Okta’s intranet.
Okta employees also receive paid sick time (OPST) for preventive care or treatment of a health condition for yourself or an immediate family member, victim(s) of domestic violence, and any other reason required under federal, state, or local sick leave laws.
An immediate family member includes:
- Spouse or domestic partner
Sick time is separate from the flexible PTO benefit.
Full-time regular employees are granted 80 hours per year of sick time.
If you’re absent for more than 3 days due to illness, Okta may require you to provide a note from your doctor allowing you to return to work. You can request a leave of absence for illnesses that last more than 5 days. Contact the Larkin Company at OktaLeaves@thelarkincompany.com about applying for a leave of absence, including Short-Term Disability.
Sick time should be requested and approved in advance or as soon as possible.
View Okta’s full sick time policy.
Okta understands the deep impact that the death of a loved one or a loss of pregnancy can have on an individual and family. That’s why we provide paid bereavement leave.
|Relationship||Paid Leave Allowance|
|Immediate Family Member||5 days|
|Non-Immediate Family Member||3 days|
Immediate family members include:
- Parent/step parent
- Spouse or domestic partner
- Grandparent/step grandparent
- Grandchild/step grandchild
- Parent-in-law/step parent-in-law
If you need additional time off, talk to your manager about taking unpaid personal leave.
Review Okta’s Unpaid Personal Leave policy for eligibility and request requirements.
Jury or witness summons leave
If you’re summoned to report for jury duty or to serve as a witness in a judicial proceeding, you’ll receive paid time off for up to 10 days. As soon as you receive the summons:
- Notify your manager.
- Provide a copy of the summons or notification.
If you exhaust your 10 days of paid leave, continued jury duty or service as a witness can be taken as an unpaid leave of absence. Keep your manager and the benefits team advised of your status.
If your absence from work would create a hardship for the company, Okta may request that you be excused from jury duty or that your service be postponed. The court will make the final determination.
How to request time away
- Discuss the dates with your manager.
- Submit your request in Workday.
- Once approved by a manager in Workday, add the time off to your work calendar.
You must request paid time off in advance.
|If you need...||Submit your request...|
|Less than 2 weeks||At least 2 weeks in advance|
|More than 2 weeks||At least a month in advance|
|Unexpected sick leave||As soon as possible after the situation is known|
- You are expected to consider your professional obligations and responsibilities to Okta and talk to your manager before requesting time off.
- Your manager does not have to approve your time off request if it doesn't comply with this request process.
- An unexcused absence may result in unpaid time off and/or potential disciplinary action.
- After three days of absence without approval or communication, Okta may determine that you’ve resigned from your position.
NOTE: Your manager will approve reasonable PTO requests based on your productivity and efficiency, the progress you have made toward your goals, the status of your projects, and fairness to your coworkers.
Okta reserves the right to deny flexible PTO requests at its sole discretion.
Because time off under the flexible PTO policy is not earned and does not accrue, time off is not paid upon the end of your employment with Okta.
PTO best practices
2 weeks out:
- Send a calendar invite free event to your manager and key counterparts titled with your “[First Name] PTO” for any days you will be out. Pro-tip: Be sure to mark the event as “free” vs. “busy” or else you risk blocking out others’ calendars.
- Block out your calendar as “away” during the days you are out.
1 week out:
- Depending on the length of your vacation, send a note to your key stakeholders to let them know the duration of your PTO and who they can go to in your absence.
- Consider adding a PTO alert to your email signature to give teammates a heads up on your schedule.
3-4 days out:
- Share your needs for coverage with your colleagues and/or manager. Walkthrough the documentation to answer questions.
- Notify anyone who has a meeting on your calendar that you will not be available so they can move the meeting if needed.
- Notify anyone outside of your team that you work with on who your coverage is for any questions.
1 day out:
- Turn on an out of office automatic reply in your email account. Include details on who people can reach out to when you are away.
- Set your Slack status to vacation/PTO.